Dancing and cheering in a cold December rain, about 250 supporters of the Voters Not Politicians (VNP) redistricting reform petition drive formed a human chain this afternoon to pass 188 boxes of forms from a U-Haul truck to the doors of the Michigan Bureau of Elections at 430 W. Allegan St. in Lansing.
Katie Fahey, president and treasurer of VNP, congratulated the volunteers who gathered reportedly more than 425,000 signatures, well over the 315,654 needed to get on the ballot in November 2018.
"Over 10,000 people have been a part of it and played some role in the campaign in every single county, setting aside their political party to work toward the single goal of ending partisan gerrymandering Michigan," she told the crowd before the boxes were unloaded.
Notably, the collection was done without paid circulators.
"In 40 years of circulating and verifying Michigan petition drives, I have never before seen an effort such as this," said Alan Fox, formerly of Practical Political Consulting. "Collecting 430,000-plus signatures in less than four months with volunteers and no established organizational support is unprecedented in Michigan history"
But the initiative immediately drew fire from critics like the Michigan Republican Party and the Michigan Freedom Fund.
For the full article, see Supporters Dance, Cheer As They Submit Boxes Of VNP Petitions In The Rain
MIRSNews.com is available via the MSU Library electronic resources page. Access is restricted to the MSU community and other subscribers.
Table of Contents from the December 19, 2017 MIRS News Service:
- Snyder: Now Is Time For A-F Grading System
- Livingston County Judge Being Investigated For Extra-Marital Liaisons
- 100 Legislators Cast Perfect Voting Records In 2017
- Supporters Dance, Cheer As They Submit Boxes Of VNP Petitions In The Rain
- Retired Genesee Health Officer Says He Felt 'Intimidated' By Wells
- Feds Seek Sanctions Against MDOC
- Could Ghosts of Granholm's Past Haunt Dems in 2018?
- Court: Ban On Immoral, Scandalous Marks Violates 1st Amendment
- McQuade Credits Miles For Putting Nassar In Prison
- Schuette v. Whitmer -- Who Is Leading In Which Crosstabs?
- Prisoner Escapes From Chelsea Facility, Caught By MSP
- Ecorse Released From Oversight, Just Flint & Hamtramck Have RTABs